WIP = Work in Progress
I know what you were thinking–poor old STH disappeared into a pile of mending and was never heard from again! Well, it’s not quite that bad, but I just haven’t been sewing much, as I’ve been busy with other things.
I did make a start on the mending, but, predictably, got lured away by a fun spring-y knit fabric calling to me from the knit bin (that’s what I get for organizing my knits). As I’ve written about before, my generally careful and cautious self tends to make not-very-sensible sewing decisions in the springtime, so it was probably inevitable that the bees-and-flowers top would happen.
And this is the pattern I chose.
Potential cons associated with this project:
1. I’ve never used a pattern from this company before, and I can’t find a single review of this pattern anywhere. There are no finished measurements on the pattern, so sizing is going to be an issue.
2. The pattern calls for a drapey knit with 50% stretch; what I have is a not-drapey cotton/poly jersey with about 25% stretch (I got it at a $2/lb. fabric sale at SCRAP).
3. The last time I wore a “babydoll” style top was when I was 16, and the cashier at Safeway asked me when I was due. In a lifetime of social awkwardness, this was definitely an awkward peak moment.
Pros of this project:
1. The fabric has bees on it.
2. It isn’t black, and I’ve been wearing mostly black for the past month.
3. The pattern is more or less completely different from what I usually make or wear.
4. I want to make it.
So, yeah, inevitable.
My measurements put me at a size 2X, but I was worried about having enough ease in the fitted top, so I measured the pattern pieces. I decided to cut a 3X for the top part, a 2X for the ruffled bottom. I partially sewed the top section, tried it on, and decided to lower the neckline about 1/2″; once I was happy with the top part, I cut the lining to match.
My initial reaction was “bleh,” but now I’m not sure.
Here’s a version with about 4″ of hem pinned up.
I think I’m going to like it!
This version may be a little bit short; I think I’ll try it with 3″ pinned up and see how it goes. I need to find that magic length that’s “flowy” without looking like hand-me-downs from a taller person. I was considering ripping out the gathering in the front and replacing it with tucks, but the look of the gathering is kind of growing on me. This jersey is very thin, so the gathers aren’t too bulky, and hopefully don’t make me look like I’m expecting. And it feels lovely to wear!
I’ll get this finished soon, then I really need to get back to the mending pile. I started with 16 items to fix (SOB), and I’ve still got 10 to go. One item, a purchased fleece jacket with a troublesome zipper, went into the Goodwill box, as I didn’t think I could rip out that zipper without destroying the fabric. Another one, a pair of knit wool gloves, had a big hole where the thumb meets the hand, and there was no way a darning job would hold for long at that stress point.
Here’s one I did finish, though.
I’ve had this jacket for years, and wanted to replace the buttons for the longest time. I recently got some new buttons (sale at Joann’s), and put them on.
New buttons on the top, old on the bottom.
I’m not in love with these new buttons, but at least they’re interesting, and reduce the “Montana cattle rancher” vibe of the jacket. I may have only managed to get to “funky Montana cattle rancher,” but that’s an improvement, anyway.
You know, I was feeling like I hadn’t had any sewing success in the past few weeks, but I guess maybe I have!
I hope you’re having some successes with whatever it is you’re trying to do. Have a wonderful week, everybody!