A couple of very colorful finished projects for you today!
First, the embroidery up above. Here’s the whole thing:
I don’t think I’ve posted about this project here before. The design is from a coloring page (I believe from here), traced onto a scrap of fabric, either a linen blend or a “linen look” fabric. I started this some time ago with the idea of pitching it to the local makerspace as a potential class, but progress on it has been slow because I always have a million other things that I want and/or need to do while I’m home. So I started bringing it with me as something to do while I’m waiting for my mother at her physical therapy appointments.
Those appointments have become a highlight of my week. It’s become such a pleasure to sit and work on this in a quiet room on a sunny afternoon and take a break from all my to-doing and must-get-doneing. (Why, yes, I am pretty much making up my own words at this point.) So I was a little sorry to finish this project, but (of course), I have more embroidery projects I’m contemplating. There’s also an OLD Christmas embroidery kit that I’m thinking about maybe actually finishing (after HOW many years?)
In the meantime, here’s my other finished project–another altered tee, and I am LOVING how it turned out.
Here’s the before, a purchased yellow tee that has been in a drawer for a few years. I don’t think I’ve every worn it because it’s a little bit small on me. I’m sure I bought it just because of the color and the gathering at the neck.
On this one, I wanted to change the sleeves a bit, so I cut off the sleeve hems and removed the entire side/sleeve seams. I added a bigger wedge this time to the sides–1/2″ wide at the bottom sleeve edge to 5″ wide at the shirt hem.
For the cuffs, I pulled out my copy of “Sweatshirts With Style” by Mary Mulari and used her technique. Basically, you cut a strip of fabric, sew the short ends together, fold wrong sides together, sew onto the sleeve, fold, and press. I didn’t want to have to re-press the cuff every time this top got washed, so I sewed it down.
I unpicked the hem for a few inches to either side of the side seams, then resewed it after the wedges were added to the sides of the top.
The gathered front originally had two small yellow buttons, but I decided it needed something brighter to balance the sides and sleeve cuffs. These are two buttons and a bead from the stash.
I’m so happy with this top! Lots of great color, a little bit of swing from the insets, and a fun, comfy top for the summer!
Okay, gotta crawl off to bed. Have a great week and get yourself a lounge in that July sun.