, , , , , , , ,

011 (640x480)

New park last weekend–this is W.E. Johnson Park in Richland, WA.

WIP = Work in Progress

Happy Thursday!

It has been a busy week here!  For some reason, lots of appointments and phone calls and errands needed to happen this past week, and I have been doing a lot of running.  We’re off to Seattle tomorrow for the Bike Swap on Saturday, then next week should be more of the busy.  If you get to the Bike Swap, be sure to find us and say hi–we’ll have the table with the colorful zipper bags.  (Like you couldn’t see that coming.)

I FINALLY finished my PJs yesterday, after what felt like about six months of working on them.  I’ll try to get some better pictures sometime, but these were what I was able to snap quickly between appointments #2 and #3 today.

005 (640x540)

Cats are always so helpful.

007 (480x640)

These are my patterns:

013 (640x537)

The Simplicity on the left is the pattern I used for my last pair of PJs.  They were perfectly wearable–and I literally wore them to pieces–but I wanted to see if I could get a little better fit on my next pair of PJ pants using a pattern designed for women.  So I hunted down the See & Sew pattern, the only one I could find that was just for women, meant for woven fabrics, and not a traditional buttons-up-the-front style (I don’t know why, but I just have an aversion to that style).

So I used the S&S pattern, a simple, quick pattern, but basically complicated it as much as possible.  The top was too short, so I added a band on the bottom, attached with flat fell seams.  The full-length pants were super long, so I made the capris and added another band on the bottom–more flat fell seams–and I mistakenly put the band on the TOP of one of my pieces rather than the bottom, so that had to be fixed.  I used the pocket piece from the Simplicity pattern to add a pocket to the right pants leg.  Which was great, except that I then discovered that my pants legs were too roomy, after I’d done flat fell seams on the sides (with a pocket on top).  So I took in and tapered the pants as much as I could using the inner leg seam.  I would like to take them in more, but at this point I’m frankly in no mood to be ripping out any more flat fell seams.

So, bottom line:  I LOVE the fit on my new PJs, except for the pant legs, which are too big and drafty.  If I get to the point where my annoyance at the drafts outweighs my innate laziness and dislike of mending, I’ll tinker with them again.  We’ll see.  For now, though, I (mostly) love them.

Also this week, I took a stab at making some of these guys:

003 (640x463)

But wait, you say, surely these can’t be a need for our friend STH?  Hasn’t she whined (pretty much endlessly) about the indignities of geezerhood, such as her creaky old joints and her not being able to see to embroider?

Well, my friends, all I have to say to that is that Mother Nature is obviously the one in charge here, not me.  :/

I looked at some tutorials and would up using this one.  My version has flannel on top, two layers of thin batting in the middle, and fleece on the bottom.  I intentionally made the first couple of pads thin, to see if I could get away with using so little padding.  And so far, so good!

008 (640x548)

Very quick and easy to make, and very effective so far.  I’m using regular sew-on metal snaps on these; they’re a bit time-consuming, but no way am I buying a Kam Snap set for these pads that I don’t expect to use for much longer (I can only hope Mother Nature agrees).  The only real quibble I have is the claim in the tutorial that the cotton tops won’t stain; not my experience so far, but, again, my hope is to not have to use these much longer.  Quite grumpy to still be using them at all, but I do admit to being pleased to be able to use up some batting and fabric scraps to make them.

One more picture from the park, then I’m heading for bed.  Have a wonderful weekend, and I hope all your projects are coming together nicely.


005 (640x480)