I don’t have very many pictures this week–it just wasn’t a terribly photogenic week, I’m afraid–but I wanted to show you the progress on the Sew Together bag, which I worked on for Friday Night with Friends.
I decided to use the gridded interfacing that I won the other day to piece together my assortment of greens for the outside of the bag. This turned out to be a bit more of a project than I expected. I needed a finished size piece of 13 1/2″ by 9 3/4″; with a grid of 1″ squares and 1/4″ seam allowance, I’d have to start with a 27″ by 19 1/2″ piece of interfacing (plus a few inches of extra just to be safe).
So, I sat down to figure out how many squares of fabric I’d need . . . no, that can’t possibly be right . . . I’ll recalculate in the morning when I’m not tired, I’m sure I’m making a mistake . . . . Nope, in the morning, the answer was still 609 1″ squares.
So that was Friday night.
Then, on Saturday, I mixed all my squares together and laid them out on the adhesive side of the grid. My ironing board was too small, so I did this on a towel on my dining room table.
And here it is with all the squares in place and pressed down.
I’m working now on sewing all those long, looooonnnnggg seams. This whole process is probably less tedious than sewing all those teeny, tiny squares together two by two, but it’s still plenty tedious. Good for when you want something mindless to do, but it’s not going to be my favorite quilt technique, that’s for sure.
I am loving all those greens together, though. These less-bright greens aren’t my favorite, so I have a lot of them sitting around that I haven’t found a way to use, and I love how they all look together. The combination reminds me of a walk in the woods.
However, that’s not the most exciting thing that happened last week.
THAT would be THIS RIGHT HERE:
You guys, I DID A THING.
Take a look at my new toy right there.
Backstory: The sewing machine I’ve been using is a basic White that I bought maybe 15 (?) years ago on sale at Joann’s. I have worked it HARD and it has been dying piece by piece for some time–first the buttonhole function stopped working, then it stopped winding bobbins, and just recently the stitch selector froze up and the machine started having intermittent tension problems. I’ve been hemming and hawing about what to do, then on Tuesday or Wednesday I made up my mind to start looking for a used machine. Not ancient, as I wanted zig zag and reverse and the ability to do buttonholes, but something sturdy and reliable.
On Thursday afternoon, I sat down in front of my computer to check out Facebook while I had my coffee. And there was a post from SCRAP about the two sewing machines they had put out on the floor to sell, an old Kenmore and a newish Singer. I chugged my coffee, got in the car, and ran down there. The Singer looked nice–it was still in its box and everything–but I’ve never heard a single good thing about the newer Singers. And that Kenmore was all metal, sturdy, simple, and clean inside and out. All for $30.
When I got home, I found a couple of YouTube videos showing how to use the machine–how I love the internet!–and I managed to fill a bobbin, thread it, and start sewing. You guys, this thing is GREAT. I used to sew on my grandmother’s old Kenmore (a similar, possibly newer, machine is here), and this has all the advantages of that machine without the disadvantages (I’m still a little amazed that I used to lug that 50-pound beast to quilt classes, then haul it up the stairs to my old third-floor apartment afterwards). And the stitches are beautiful.
As always, all credit goes to Natalie from Threads and Bobbins for getting us all going on this Sunday Sevens business.
I hope you all have a great week, and that your stitches are nice and even.